Benson schools closed; icy conditions hinder travel
The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for our area.
An upper-level disturbance will interact with a cold front on Friday to produce snow and mixed precipitation across parts of the northern Plains and Upper Midwest. Snowfall accumulations of 3 to 8 inches are expected from north-central North Dakota to west-central Wisconsin by Friday evening.
The seven day outlook for the greater Benson area is:
- Snow and freezing rain likely, becoming all snow after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 31. East northeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Tonight Snow, mainly before 2am. Low around 16. North wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
- Saturday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph.
- Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3. North northwest wind 5 to 15 mph.
- Sunday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
- Sunday Night Snow likely, mainly after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 22. Breezy, with a southeast wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Monday Snow likely with areas of blowing snow. Cloudy, with a high near 24. Blustery, with a south wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
- Monday Night Snow likely with areas of blowing snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 0. Blustery, with a northwest wind 20 to 25 mph decreasing to 15 to 20 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Large city roads project gets underway in May
- Benson’s assessed value increases by nearly $1.5 million
- They’re back . . . BHS choir students return from 6-day trip to New York City
- A mild winter means ice goes off Minnesota’s lakes early
- More options made available to buffer strip state requirements